Saturday, July 11, 2009

Why I'm still shooting on a Film?

PREFACE.
Yes, it is dispute lasts already enough for a long time. The film "died" not one year already: with each new year, to it prophesy inevitable destruction. I would like to take from well-known phrase from Bernard Shaw - " hearings about destruction of a film are strongly exaggerated "! :)

COMPARISON(please, click on images for viewing).
Well, let's look to this shots two, the film is one of them. Yes, I'm understand really that they are "digital" both!The first picture(up) was taken by the Fuji S5Pro digital camera. By the way, an electric column was cleaned on it. The second picture(down) was taken by the Nikon F100 film camera, Fuji Provia 100F film. It was scanned on a Nikon 5000ED film scanner.

What we can say about a difference of this pictures two?I don't say about a white balance or colors palette. At first look, we can see that a "digital" shot are slightly sharper....and what about a detail level?

Reduced to the "same size" a head of a Lighthouse crops(multiplied to 3 times from an original size)will show us the film detail advantage. The film is on the left side, digital on the right side. Moreover, the film have no detail destruction up to 7 times magnification is applied when! However, the digital have this one. Please, Look as the vertical line of a ladder and red hand-rail on the right is broken.

CONCLUSION.
I'm understand that a "Cleanliness" of my test is required a same point of view, scales and image resolution and etc. For example, Fuji S5Pro has the 12mp resolution, the 21mp Nikon 5000ED resolution instead. However, I do not think that the resolution the main moment here. In my opinion, the main thing is the size of a sensor. My experience shows, the APS-C camera's image have less details than a 35mm scan. Please, be not in earnest to my test too. Simply, this one more record in my blog ;)

Thanks for reading,

Malik, 03:58 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment